Subject Leader - Mrs Green
We want our pupils to be inspired and acquire a broad range of skills and understanding in a practical subject that encourages creativity, resourcefulness and imagination. We aim to develop our children’s ability to design, investigate, analyse and evaluate in a range of relevant contexts. We strive to enable pupils to deal with tomorrow’s rapidly changing world.
Clear and comprehensive thematic topic work in line with the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework and the National Curriculum. The Design and Technology Curriculum is planned for and covered in full within the EYFS and KS1 school curriculum.
- Delivery of Design and Technology projects with a clear structure.
- Delivery showing clear following of the design process where each project will follow: research, design, make and evaluate.
- A range of knowledge and skills will be taught ensuring that children are aware of health and safety issues related to the tasks undertaken.
- Clear and appropriate cross curricular links to underpin learning in multiple areas across the curriculum giving the children opportunities to learn life skills and apply skills to ‘hands on’ situations in a purposeful context.
- Design Technology focussed displays in every classroom alongside celebrating the outstanding three-dimensional creations on display throughout the school. These displays celebrate exceptional practice and exemplify terminology and vocabulary used.
- Independent learning: In Design and Technology children may well be asked to solve problems and develop their learning independently. This allows the children to have ownership over their curriculum and lead their own learning in Design and Technology.
- Collaborative learning: In Design and Technology children may well be asked to work as part of a team learning to support and help one another towards a challenging, yet rewarding goal.
Children will have clear enjoyment and confidence in Design and Technology that they will then apply to other areas of the curriculum.
- Children will ultimately know more, remember more and understand more about Design and Technology, demonstrating this knowledge when using tools or skills in other areas of the curriculum and in opportunities out of school.
- The large majority of children will achieve age related expectations in Design Technology.
- As designers’ children will develop skills and attributes they can use beyond school and into adulthood.